Saturday, January 10, 2015 was a banner day for the City of Encinitas as the new Encinitas Community Park was opened amid beautiful skies on a beautiful winter day.
The new park includes a skate park, ball parks, much common area for leisure activities, a children’s playground, and most beloved to the Encinitas Garden Festival & Tour Committee is the newly opened Maggie Houlihan Memorial Dog Park.
In 2014, EGF&T Committee member Sandy Shapiro (also an Encinitas Park Commissioner) promoted the idea to name the dog park in memory of late city council member and mayor Maggie Houlihan. It is a fitting legacy since gardens and dogs were among Maggie’s two great passions.
The EGF&T Planning Committee donated $7,500 to support the dog park naming and to help with signage and related expenses. We are so proud to honor Maggie’s legacy, to be a part of Encinitas history, and we look forward to the many hours of recreation and leisure that will be enjoyed for generations to come.
Other Projects We’ve Supported
- Capri Elementary School
- Cardiff Elementary School Garden
- Community Resource Center – Carol’s House – Garden Project
- Coastal Community Foundation Encinitas Garden Festival Fund
- Community of Cardiff – Clean-up project
- Community of Leucadia – Clean-up project
- Community of Olivenhain Clean-up project
- Healthy Day Partners at Ocean Knoll Educational Farm
- La Costa Canyon O2 for Life – Support for Composting Project
- Mira Costa College Horticultural Student Scholarship
- Mission Estancia Elementary School Garden
- Ocean Knoll School Garden
- Olivenhain Town Council – Herman Baecht Hotel Plaque & Monument
- Paul Ecke Central School Garden Supplies
- San Diego Botanic Garden – Support for Children’s Garden Education Supplies
- San Diego Botanic Garden – Bill Teague Internship Fund Donation
- San Diego County Library – Encinitas Branch Horticultural Books
- Scripps Encinitas Hospital Healing Garden
For more information, please contact us at Donate@EncinitasGardenFestival.org.